to shoot, destroy, or inactivate; my TV set was zapped by lightning. [PJC]
to bomb with an atomic bomb. Syn: nuke, atomize. [WordNet 1.5]
to cook or heat in a microwave oven. Syn: microwave, micro-cook, nuke. [WordNet 1.5]
to subject to radiation, a laser beam, a strong electric current, or other potentially destructive treatment. [PJC]
to skip over (e. g. a commercial or dull interval in a television program) by using the fast-forward button on a VCR remove control. [PJC]
to add interest, color, or attractiveness to; to liven; -- usually used with up. --[RHUD] [PJC]
1 strike suddenly and with force; "This show zaps the viewers with some shocking scenes"
2 kill with or as if with a burst of gunfire or electric current or as if by shooting; "in this computer game, space travellers are vaporized by aliens" [syn: vaporize]
4 cook or heat in a microwave oven; "You can microwave the left-overs" [syn: microwave, micro-cook, nuke] [also: zapping, zapped]
Moby ThesaurusKO, blast, blot out, bump off, call off, cancel, complete, croak, delete, dispose of, do in, drop the curtain, end off, erase, expunge, extinguish, finalize, finish, fix, fold up, get, get it over, get over with, get through with, give the business, give the quietus, gun down, hit, ice, kayo, kibosh, kill, knock out, lay out, off, perfect, polish off, put paid to, rub out, scrag, settle, shoot down, take care of, waste, wipe out
- Rhymes with: -æp
Usage notesZap is colloquial in all senses.
sound electrical shock
- To make a zapping sound.
- To use a remote control to repeatedly change channel on a television.
- To strike (something or someone) with electricity or energy, as by shooting.
- They spent the whole movie zapping bad guys into oblivion.
- To damage (especially
electronics) with electrostatic discharge.
- I think they zapped the processor.
- To heat (something) in a microwave
- If it's not warm in the middle, zap it some more.
- To delete or discard (electronic media).
- They zapped a lot of files before realizing they had not backed up lately.
- To further
energize or charge
- They zapped my motor's magnets.
make a zapping sound change channels repeatedly
- Representing the sound or action of a zap.
- Then the computer went zap and I lost all my work.
representing the sound of a zap
Zap can refer to:
- An onomatopoeia, referring to electricity
- Zap Comix, a series of underground comics
- Zap, North Dakota
- Zap! (computer game)
- Zap (song) is the name of the instrumental song by Eric Johnson
- Raye Hollitt, a cast member on American Gladiators
- "Zapped", an episode of Power Rangers: SPD
- ZZZap!, a children's television program
- Zap is also a character from the G.I. Joe universe.
- Zap! (webcomic), a sci-fi webcomic on Keenspot
- Zaporozhets, a long-lived series of small, rear-engined Soviet Ukrainian cars
- "Master Zap", former member of the band Beat Symphony. He is currently working with computer animation. He was also making the special effects for the Star Wars fan film Star Wars: Revelations.
- Zap (ice cream), a British caramel/chocolate flavoured ice lolly.
ZAP may refer to:
- Zapp: zap graffiti arts: a company based in liverpool promoting graffiti as a positive artform with schools,youth and community based orgsanisations, across the uk and often further afield.
zap in French: Zap
zap in Italian: ZAP
zap in Kölsch: ZAP (Watt ėßß datt?)